Job Title: Archivist, George Eastman Legacy Collection
Reports To: Kathy Connor, Curator, George Eastman Legacy Collection
Status: Part time, 20 hours per week
Posting Date: September 23, 2021 until filled
Provides assistance to the Curator of the George Eastman Legacy Collection in caring for the artifacts on display in the George Eastman House and in storage in the George Eastman archive.
- Facilitate access to the collection for museum staff, interns, outside researchers and visitors.
- Schedule appointments for outside researchers to study collection materials; help interpret their needs/requests and determines strategies for use.
- Monitor activity in George Eastman Study Center; retrieve and return collection materials from storage as requested.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries (via email, written, and telephone) about the George Eastman Legacy holdings. Assist researchers in understanding what is available to them and helps to better utilize their time in the Rochester area.
- Create and maintain catalogue records for the GE Legacy artifacts acquired by the museum, as well as material already in the collection that is not catalogued and is scheduled for exhibition or loan. Enters information into museum database (TMS).
- Create and maintain other Collection “Finding Aids”.
- Create appropriate housing for new artifacts brought into the collection, as well as preparing material for researcher use. These range from simple housings for individual photographs to more complex enclosures.
- Seek out competitive pricing for archival boxes, sleeves, and other supplies necessary to the GE archive. Order supplies as needed with Curator’s approval.
- Research and write brief descriptions of proposed acquisitions as requested.
- Work with department volunteers, interns and docents to answer questions about collection materials and provide access to copy prints and educational tools for use while on tours.
- Research and write articles and blogs for new acquisitions to the GEL Collection or a researcher using the GEL collection.
- Plan, prepare and execute group activities in the George Eastman Study Center using collection artifacts.
- Other duties/projects as assigned by the Curator of the George Eastman Legacy Collection.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work takes place in an office environment but Archive duties will require work in extreme conditions due to climate requirements for the collection. The duties of this position require standing, walking, sitting, lifting/carrying (max. of 50 lbs.), kneeling, reaching, and public speaking, hearing and seeing.
- Bachelor’s degree in History or related field
- A minimum of one to two years previous museum related experience.
- Must be organized, customer service driven, and possess excellent critical thinking, written and verbal communication skills, and attention to detail.
To be considered for this position, please mail or email a cover letter and a current CV or resume to Kathy Connor, Curator, George Eastman Legacy Collection at firstname.lastname@example.org or 900 East Avenue Rochester, NY 14607
The Eastman Museum is committed to advancing inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility at our institution and in our society. The Eastman Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.