Job Title Assistant Collection Manager
Reports To: Ross Knapper, Collections Manager
Status: Full time
Start Date: Immediately
Posting Dates: February 13 – February 27, 2020
The Assistant Collection Manager provides overall support to the Collection Manager in the care, organization, and preservation of the Photography Collection. Major responsibilities include cataloging the Photography Collection and providing research and reference assistance to internal and external researchers. The Assistant Collection Manager provides direct support for the Gannett Foundation Photography Study Center by supervising researchers, facilitating access to the collection, and assisting with group visits and classes.
- Organize, catalog according to museum standards, house appropriately, and track the movements of all works in the care of the Department of Photography (DOP), including acquisitions, temporary loans, long-term loans, and related materials.
- Assist Collection Manager in monitoring and making recommendations for proper environmental conditions for the storage of materials in DOP’s care. Compile data using hygrothermographs, dataloggers (PEM2), and eClimateNotebook and provide to appropriate staff. Make recommendations to other DOP staff.
- Assist Collection Manager in maintaining Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system in Department of Photography, including compiling data and providing information and recommendations to appropriate staff.
- Maintain stock of and order housing supplies for collection objects. Maintain list of common supplies used and vendors.
- Create and maintain records in TMS for all works in DOP’s care.
- Respond to internal and external requests for information about and access to the collection.
- Schedule and supervise visits to the Gannett Foundation Photography Study Center. Visitors include classes from school and university students, academic researchers, and members of the public, as well as GEM staff, interns, students, and volunteers.
- Assist Collection Manager in presenting lectures and demonstrations about collection materials and their care. These may occasionally fall outside of regular business hours.
- Assist Collection Manager and DOP curators in evaluating, refining, and enhancing the GEM Photography Collection.
- Coordinate with the Museum Photographer to digitize objects in the GEM Photography Collection.
- Collaborate with Conservation Department on the maintenance and preservation of the collection.
- Assist Collection Manager in overseeing and implementing the care, organization, and maintenance of collection areas.
- Offer assistance and training in the handling of collection materials to staff, interns, students and volunteers as needed.
- Perform additional responsibilities/projects as assigned by Collection Manager and Curator-in-Charge, Department of Photography.
- Requires Advanced degree in the history of photography, collections management, museum studies, or a related field.
- 1-2 years of related experience preferred.
- Must have knowledge of preservation protocols, history of photographs, and proper handling of collection items, and knowledge of standard Museum practices, protocols, and ethics.
- Ability to maintain a collaborative approach and to work as part of a team are essential.
- Possess a positive demeanor and welcoming attitude toward all visitors to the Gannett Foundation Photography Study Center are also essential.
- The duties of this position may require standing, walking, sitting, lifting/carrying (40lbs), pushing/pulling (40lbs), balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching crawling, reaching, speaking, hearing, seeing, depth perception, color vision, repetitive motion. Work performed within the Collection may require work in high, precarious places with exposure to extreme heat/cold conditions according to climate requirements for the collection.
Please submit your resume for consideration to Ross Knapper, Collections Manager at email@example.com
The George Eastman Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.