Job Title: Assistant Librarian
Department: Richard and Ronay Menschel Library
Reports To: Ken Fox, Head of the Library and Archives
Status: Full time
Posting Dates: August 29, 2019 until filled
Responsible for cataloging and maintaining the museum’s library catalog records; serial claims and binding; interlibrary loan; library instruction; and library statistics.
- Perform original and copy cataloging and classification of library collection materials in all formats and languages using OCLC Connexion and the Ex Libris Alma library services platform administered by the University of Rochester (UR). Follow Resource Description and Access (RDA) and/or the Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (2nd ed.) (AACR2). Assign Library of Congress (LC) and local call numbers and LC Subject Headings (LCSH). Perform authority control in Connexion and Alma. Revise, update, or delete Alma bibliographic, holdings, and item records as needed. Train and supervise other library staff in copy cataloging.
- Act as liaison to the UR Libraries for any Alma issues. Attend UR Libraries meetings and training opportunities when invited. Share relevant information about Alma with museum staff and students.
- Oversee the library’s circulation activities. Develop circulation policies, procedures, and documentation in consultation with the Head of the Library and Archives, museum library staff, and UR Libraries staff. Train and supervise other library staff in circulation functions. Communicate with museum staff and students about circulation policies.
- Submit and process interlibrary loan (ILL) requests for materials not available in the George Eastman Museum Libraries via the UR Libraries’ online ILL forms or the OCLC WorldShare ILL system. Provide annual ILL statistics to the Rochester Regional Library Council (RRLC).
- Manage the library’s serials claims and binding. Train and supervise other library staff in serials check-in, binding, and related tasks as appropriate.
- Instruct students, staff, and docents in the use of the library catalog and UR library databases.
- Participate in developing library policies and procedures, especially for cataloging, circulation, and reference.
- Serve as contact person for OCLC and the Rochester Regional Library Council (RRLC). Coordinate OCLC software updates with museum Information Technology staff. Request Access Cards from RRLC and issue them to museum staff and students; provide annual statistics to RRLC.
- Provide backup for the library’s Research Facilitator by monitoring and serving library researchers and responding to library reference queries as needed.
- Maintain the library’s monthly, quarterly, and annual statistics. Draft minutes of meetings of the Library Committee of the museum’s Board of Trustees for revision by the Head of the Library and Archives.
- Monitor and order library processing and other supplies as approved by the Head of the Library and Archives.
- Carry out other responsibilities and projects as assigned by the Head of the Library and Archives.
This position requires retrieval and re-shelving of library materials, including books, periodicals, folios, and archives storage boxes. Regularly requires standing, walking, sitting, carrying (max. 20 lbs), climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, handling, speaking, hearing, seeing and motions that are repetitive. Position will also occasionally require lifting (no more than 30 lbs.), pushing/pulling (no more than 40 lbs.) and balancing.
Work takes place primarily in the library offices, main stacks and special collections vault. (Average vault temperature: 60° F.)
Qualifications and Requirements:
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Library cataloging experience (museum or academic library experience preferred) using OCLC Connexion.
- Demonstrated knowledge of RDA, AACR2, LCSH, LC Classification System, and MARC21
- Experience with library reference service
- Experience with circulation via an online library services platform and interlibrary loan preferred
- Experience with the Alma library services platform preferred
Please submit your cover letter and resume for consideration to Ken Fox, Head of the Library and Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org
The George Eastman Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.