Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Department: Marketing and Engagement
Reports To: Eliza Kozlowski, Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement
Status: Full time
Posting Date: August 12, 2021 until filled
Plan and direct the museum’s public relations strategies and activities via traditional media, social media, and community outreach to promote George Eastman Museum, the collection, exhibitions, programs, and special events. Enhance and protect the public image of George Eastman Museum. Support the objectives of the Marketing & Engagement team.
- Write, edit, produce, and/or distribute content in support of public relations activities for all channels, including enewsletters and social media.
- Write and disseminate effective press releases and media alerts, prepare background information for media, and contribute content to the website and blog.
- Manage online pressroom and press photo site.
- Serve as the media liaison for the museum, responding to media requests in a timely manner and proactively pitch and place stories in local, regional, national, and international media.
- Develop ongoing relationships with key media partners/participants.
- In addition to the Director and Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement, serve as spokesperson for the Museum.
- Work across departments to find and develop stories.
- Work with internal thought leaders to mine story ideas, position as experts within the media, and provide coaching for media interviews.
- In collaboration with the Manager of Digital Engagement, actively manage the museum’s presence on social media platforms to foster online engagement on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and other social media communications.
- Create content, schedule, plan strategies and campaigns.
- Track engagement and mentions across channels, and coordinate responses.
- Track growth and engagement, use analytics to inform future strategies and campaigns, share results.
- Stay on top of trends, algorithms, and broader social media and museum days.
- Work with influencers to promote events, raise awareness, and maintain relationships.
- Execute the paid social advertising budget allocated to the museum’s social media platforms.
- Produce and disseminate the museum’s various enewsletters. Manage and grow enewsletter lists.
- Maintain external event calendars and business listings, and coordinate responses to comments and reviews.
- Participate in Crisis Communications planning and stay abreast of current issues affecting the museum/photography and film industries and local community.
- Monitor, analyze and report on earned, owned, and shared media results.
- Other responsibilities:
- Hire and manage event photography for gallery openings and public programs.
- Maintain and update the museum’s press kit.
- Generate museum’s exhibitions calendar annually for media.
- Assist in organizing and staffing public events.
- Perform other responsibilities/projects as assigned by the Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work environment is an office setting with moderate to light noise. This position requires sitting, standing, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling a maximum of 35 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, Business or related field.
- At least 3 years of experience in communications and/or public relations or other related field.
Skills and Competencies Requirements
- Exceptional writing, editing, and verbal communications skills, including speaking in public.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, and team building skills, especially in cross-functional teams; ability to collaborate with team members and leaders throughout the museum.
- Social media proficient (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and associated business/ad platforms); experience running a brand.
- CMS proficient (Meltwater, Sprout Social).
- Other online management programs (Constant Contact, Box.com, etc.).
- PC proficient (Excel, Power Point, Word). Adobe Creative Suite experience preferred (Adobe Photoshop).
- Project management and reading comprehension skills.
To be considered for this position, please email a cover letter, a current CV or resume to Eliza Kozlowski, Senior Director, Engagement and Marketing to email@example.com
The Eastman Museum is committed to advancing inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility at our institution and in our society. The Eastman Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.