Job Title: Editor/Publications Manager (TEMPORARY POSITION)
Reports To: Eliza Kozlowski, Senior Director, Marketing and Engagement
Status: Part time, 3 days per week (to cover during leave)
Posting Date: October 20, 2021 until filled
Manage the editorial and production process for select museum publications. Manage the editorial process for select exhibition text. Review and revise copy to ensure alignment with institutional and interpretive goals, appropriate and consistent voice and tone, and adherence to institutional style, as well as to correct grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
- Coordinate scheduling and editing for museum publications.
- Maintain and enforce the schedule for museum print publications. Negotiate deadlines and workflow with authors and other contributors.
- Copyedit draft texts and mark proofs and comps for accuracy, grammar, style, clarity, consistency, and appropriateness. Identify and correct errors in arrangement, grammar, punctuation, spelling, and typesetting. Make recommendations for improving quality of copy, maintaining consistent voice, and supporting institutional and interpretive goals. Ensure appropriate reading level and language usage for a variety of audiences.
- Route edited materials back to contributors for review or correction. Collaborate with authors to refine texts, balancing curatorial/authorial voice and institutional voice with interpretive goals and audience needs. Consolidate comments at various stages of production and resolve conflicting comments as necessary.
- Research and consult reference resources (primarily the Chicago Manual of Style) as necessary to verify guidelines for style, grammar, and composition.
- Edit, substantively edit, rewrite, and proofread texts as required for the bulletin, other publications, exhibitions, marketing materials, development materials, the museum website, and other applications.
- Make revisions in InDesign and assist with layout where appropriate.
- Track proper use of captions, lender credits, and donor/sponsorship credits on all museum publications and signage.
- Work with Manager of Digital Engagement to edit and rewrite, as appropriate, website content and audio/mobile tour scripts and, as needed, video scripts.
- Work with Manager of Public Relations to edit press releases and press captions.
- Perform other duties/projects as assigned by the Senior Director, Engagement & Marketing.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work environment is an office setting with moderate to light noise. This position requires seeing, hearing, speaking, sitting, standing, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling a maximum of 35 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience as a copy editor/proofreader in a fast-paced production environment.
- Prior experience in working with interpretative content at a museum preferred.
- Prior experience working at a museum preferred.
- Possess expert knowledge of grammar and composition, and the ability to write for a range of different reading levels.
- Possess the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Expert and up-to-date knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style.
To be considered for this position, please email a cover letter and a current CV or resume to Eliza Kozlowski, Senior Director, Marketing and Engagement at [email protected].
The Eastman Museum is committed to advancing inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility at our institution and in our society. The Eastman Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.