Department: Richard and Ronay Menschel Library
Reports To: Ken Fox, Head of Library and Archives
Status: Full time
Posting Dates: March 29, 2018 until filled
Primary responsibility is to assist staff, students, researchers, and other visitors with research. Secondary
responsibilities include assisting with routine library and archival functions.
- Assisting researchers by answering queries, suggesting resources, and scheduling appointments.
- Providing physical and virtual access to the library's books, archival materials, and special collections.
- Monitoring and assisting staff, students, researchers, and other visitors in the library reading room.
- Monitoring and assisting authorized staff members and researchers within special collections vault.
- Scanning or photocopying documents for researchers’ use.
- Returning physical materials to stacks and special collections vault.
- Barcoding, circulating, and checking in books and other materials for staff and students; renewing unreturned materials at the end of each semester.
- Sorting books and other collection items according to established procedure and returning them to shelves, filing cabinets, special collections vault, or other designated storage areas.
- Helping with other projects such as physically shifting library materials and searching for missing items.
- Checking in, processing, shelving, and claiming periodical issues; processing periodicals backlog. Preparing periodicals, master’s essays, and damaged books for binding; checking and shelving newly bound or rebound materials.
- Searching new and backlog items in Voyager and OCLC; copy cataloging and physically processing uncataloged items; creating enclosures when needed.
- Assisting archivist in entering legacy finding aids into ArchivesSpace.
- Assisting with other duties and projects as assigned by the Head of Library and Archives.
This position regularly requires standing, walking, sitting, lifting/carrying (20 lbs.), pushing/pulling (40 lbs.), climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, speaking, hearing, seeing, depth perception, color vision, and motions that are repetitive. Position also occasionally requires lifting (30 lbs.).
Work takes place primarily in the Richard and Ronay Menschel Library at the George Eastman Museum at 900 East Avenue in Rochester. May involve visiting offsite storage facility.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Some prior library experience required.
- Knowledge of photographic history required.
- Knowledge of cinema preferred.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please submit your cover letter and resume for consideration to Ken Fox, Head of Library and Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org
George Eastman Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer