4a - Boston (unedited text)
Technicolor had its roots in Boston, Massachusetts: two of the company’s three founding partners came from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in nearby Cambridge, and its first laboratories were constructed in Boston. Completed in 1920, Technicolor’s pilot plant was initially used for perfecting the company’s two-color cemented printing process and undergoing further research. This process was launched to the film industry in 1922, and a new two-storey facility was constructed next door to meet demand. Although film production largely occurred 3,000 miles away in California, Technicolor continued to make color release prints at this site for almost ten years. After relocating the bulk of its operations and the remainder of its plant staff to Hollywood, Technicolor’s Boston laboratory finally closed its doors in 1931.