4b - Hollywood (unedited text)
Eight years after its founding, Technicolor made its way west, from Boston to Hollywood. Beginning in 1923 with a temporary laboratory and photographic unit in a rented studio building, the company soon began construction on a purpose-built facility within the heart of the film industry. Within a year, a small processing plant and camera department were up and running at 1006 North Cole Avenue, and by the end of the decade a new laboratory was completed next door. The facilities were doubled in 1938, and remained in operation close to forty years, until Technicolor relocated to Universal City in the 1970s. Today, the company has returned to Hollywood at the Sunset Gower Studios.