Work Submission Guidelines
How to Submit Work for Review
If you are an artist or an artist's representative and would like to share work with Department of Photography curators to be considered for either acquisition or exhibition, please follow these guidelines:
- Submit a maximum of 20 high-quality JPEG image files sized to 1000px on their longest dimension.
- Each image should be labeled with the artist’s name and a clear identifier corresponding to an image list that includes the title, date, medium, and dimensions of each work.
- Files should be accompanied by your contact information, including your name and e-mail address.
- The most successful submissions are coherent bodies of work accompanied by an artist’s statement. Unconventional techniques should be explained.
- Other items that may be helpful to our curatorial staff include a short biography, a current CV, and any relevant reviews or other written material on the work that is being submitted, if applicable.
- NO UNSOLICITED ORIGINAL ARTWORK WILL BE ACCEPTED. We prefer that you do not send material that must be returned, but return requests for portfolio materials will be honored if a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope or package is included with submission.
- Please note that submitting exhibition proposals is not the best way to familiarize our curators with new work. A majority of the museum's exhibitions are organized in-house by members of our curatorial departments and are planned years in advance of their openings. Instead of pre-planned exhibition proposals, we recommend submitting original bodies of work that may be of interest to our curatorial staff.
Please send your submissions via e-mail as a .zip file to email@example.com, or by mail with a PC-compatible CD-ROM to:
Department of Photography
George Eastman Museum
900 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14607-2298
Eastman Museum staff review unsolicited submissions several times a year. Receipt of your submission will be acknowledged by e-mail within 30 days. Your work will be reviewed by Department of Photography staff at an upcoming submission review. You will receive a response from us only if we wish to discuss your work with you or otherwise move forward. Please bear in mind that our exhibitions are planned several years in advance, our purchase funds are limited, and we receive a large number of submissions and proposals annually. Nevertheless, we are always eager to see new work and look forward to becoming familiar with yours.