As part of the Photographer Membership, you must sign below that you have read and agree to this policy.
Professional Photography Policy – Museum Grounds
The George Eastman Museum welcomes the opportunity to host professional photographers and their clients. We invest substantial resources each year to ensure that our museum and grounds are beautifully and historically maintained. The George Eastman Museum has become a popular backdrop for family, engagement, and senior photos. In order to work more cooperatively with photographers and aid in compliance of guidelines and to raise critical funds that directly support the maintenance and preservation of the George Eastman Museum grounds the following policy has been implemented.
This policy pertains to all professional photography, excluding wedding photography, on the Eastman Museum grounds. The locations available for professional photography are the WEST GARDEN, ROCK GARDEN, AND FRONT OF MANSION (EXTERIOR) ONLY from May 1 through October 31.
As a Photographer Member, your benefits include:
- Ability to schedule an unlimited number of photo shoots for the duration of the membership (see Scheduling Photo Shoots below)
- Free museum admission for two adults and any children or grandchildren under the age of 18 living at the home of the member on every visit
- 2 museum guest passes and 2 Dryden Theatre film passes
- Discounts on Dryden Theatre tickets
- Discount admission to Garden Vibes concerts and other special events
- 10% discount in the Eastman Museum Store
- Subscription to member newsletter (published six times a year) and members-only e-news updates
- Invitations to members-only events including exhibition previews, behind-the-scenes tours, and more
- Free admission or special discounts to other national photography museums through the Connections program
- ESL Federal Credit Union membership eligibility
Membership must be current and renewed annually.
SCHEDULING PHOTO SHOOTS
- All photo shoots are subject to availability.
- All photo sessions must be scheduled at least 48 hours prior to arrival with Director of Special Events Allen Buell at (585) 327-4888. Please include the number of guests, time of arrival, and time of departure
- Photo shoots will take place before regular museum hours from 9 to 10 a.m. or after regular museum hours from 5 to 8 p.m. daily. Hours may vary by season and museum grounds will be open for appointments beginning May 1. Photo shoots are not to be scheduled when the museum is open to the public.
- Photo sessions without a scheduled appointment are strictly prohibited.
- Scouting prior to photo shoots is permitted and encouraged.
- No standing appointments. Photographers who repeatedly miss appointments without cancelling in advance may have their appointment booking privileges revoked.
- The George Eastman Museum reserves the right to deny access to the museum and grounds for photography purposes to anyone (including members) if the photo shoot conflicts with other scheduled events.
Those renting the grounds for special events receive priority.
DURING PHOTO SHOOTS
- All photographers must sign in and out upon arrival and departure at the security entrance.
- A temporary badge will be issued at sign in and must be worn at all times.
- Photographers are welcome to bring a partner/assistant with them during photo shoots.
- We appreciate your help in maintaining our standards and protecting both the museum grounds and historical structures while on the property.
- Photographers will be held accountable for themselves as well as their clients while working on the grounds.
- We ask that while on George Eastman Museum grounds, your group upholds the integrity of our facility in dress, actions, and content of photographs.
- Photographers and clients must stay on walkways or grass at all times.
- Please be respectful of all visitors and other photographers by not restricting access to any part of the museum.
- Photographers and clients may not go inside museum buildings for photo shoots or wardrobe changes.
- Please do not leave any props or equipment unattended on any walkways. Photographers assume full responsibility for their property while on George Eastman Museum grounds.
- Failure to adhere to photography guidelines may result in the termination of photography privileges and/or revoking of membership.
The following items are prohibited:
- Lights or light reflectors on tripods or stands – hand-held are permitted
- Wardrobe racks and garment bags
The following activities are prohibited:
- Moving planters, pots, or benches
- Stepping into garden beds, ivy beds, shrub borders, or over plant material
- Removing or picking plant material
- Climbing, leaning, sitting, or standing on historic structures, wellheads, balustrades, or sculptures
- Climbing trees or fences
- Climbing, sitting, or standing on rocks
- Posing in roadways or other vehicle thoroughfares
- Entering any closed or fenced off area
The George Eastman Museum requires the location credit “George Eastman Museum, Rochester, NY” in all commercial uses of images taken at the museum. And feel free to tag us at #eastmanmuseum!