As a nonprofit organization, the George Eastman Museum depends on the significant contributions of volunteers who generously give their time and talent. Join the more than 500 volunteers who donate over 15,000 hours each year across every area of the museum. The museum has many volunteer opportunities available, both behind the scenes and in contact with the public.
In addition to knowing that they make an extraordinary difference, volunteers at the Eastman Museum receive a variety of benefits including:
- Free admission to the museum for two adults each time they visit
- Free admission to regular film screenings at the Dryden Theatre
- Discounted admission to museum events
- 10% discount in the Eastman Museum Store
- Invitations to social, educational, and recognition events
- Museum newsletter published six times a year
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Docents at the Eastman Museum
The George Eastman Museum is seeking volunteers to join its team of docents, an integral part of the museum’s guest services team. Docents enhance the museum experience by providing an elevated level of interaction and context for museum visitors of all ages.
Eastman Museum docents come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Prospective docents undergo extensive training, which includes being mentored by experienced docents. Docents also meet regularly for ongoing professional development.
Docents lead tours of the museum’s National Historic Landmark mansion, gardens, and exhibitions, and introduce films in the museum’s Dryden Theatre.
- Mansion: Mansion docents provide daily public tours and special interest tours year-round, providing information about the architecture and history of George Eastman’s residence and the enduring entrepreneurial and philanthropic legacy of George Eastman and Eastman Kodak Company.
- Gardens: Garden docents provide daily public tours from May through September, interpreting the history of the expansive gardens and landscape, and sharing details about the horticultural design and plant materials.
- Photography: Gallery docents provide daily public tours year-round, inspiring visitors by engaging them with the works on display in the museum’s galleries, providing an overview of the museum’s diverse and expansive collections, and promoting institutional activities.
- Moving Image: Moving image docents heighten the film viewing experience in the museum’s Dryden Theatre by sharing their knowledge and understanding of film history, preservation, and presentation. They also provide additional context for gallery exhibitions related to cinema.
- All Docents: Docents in any area must be comfortable and confident with public speaking and possess good interpersonal skills. A minimum commitment of two years of active service is required, and docents are expected to be members of the George Eastman Museum.
If you are interested in becoming an Eastman Museum docent, please contact Guest Services at (585) 327-4838 or email@example.com. Applications are also accepted online, click the Docent Application button.