The Thomas Tischer Visitor Center
Project Dates: Completed October 2020
The George Eastman Museum undertook a major construction project to relocate the museum’s main entrance and create a new visitor center. The new entrance, next to the Dryden Theatre, will be more convenient, visible, welcoming, and accessible for guests. The visitor center also includes a new café and museum shop.
Construction began in January 2020 and was completed October 2020.
The visitor center project was initiated by longtime museum patron, Thomas N. Tischer, PhD. His commitment of $1.5 million was matched by a $1 million grant from the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) under Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s Regional Economic Development Council Initiative. ESL Federal Credit Union, which was founded by George Eastman, acquired for $1 million the naming rights to the new main entrance building—the ESL Federal Credit Union Pavilion—at the museum’s new visitor center.
Last Updated: Monday, October 19, 2020
- Director's Note: Welcome! (Bulletin Article, November/December 2020)
- George Eastman Museum will open new Thomas Tischer Visitor Center on October 10 (Press Release, October 8, 2020)
- Louis S. and Molly B. Wolk Foundation to give $350,000 to the George Eastman Museum’s visitor center project (Press Release, September 14, 2020)
- Director’s Note: Visitor Center Project Advances (Bulletin Article, March 2020)
- George Eastman Museum breaks ground on Thomas Tischer Visitor Center and ESL Federal Credit Union Pavilion (Press Release, January 6, 2020)
- The George Eastman Museum will Break Ground on New Visitor Center on January 6, 2020 (Press Release, November 18, 2019)
- ESL Acquires Naming Rights to Pavilion in New Visitor Center at George Eastman Museum (Press Release, June 12, 2019)
- Director’s Note: A More Welcoming Museum (Bulletin Article, January/February 2019)