Learn the two most popular printing processes of the nineteenth century: salt and albumen. The salted paper print process, which results in warm brown matte prints, was introduced by William Henry Fox Talbot in the 1830s. The albumen printing process, creating glossy black-and-white images, was invented by Louis Désiré Blanquart-Evrard in 1850. Both processes are based on silver chloride printing out techniques, and were used well into the latter half of the century.
In this online workshop, Historic Process Specialist Nick Brandreth will guide participants through the steps of creating both types of prints, from preparing the emulsion, to printing and processing, and displaying the finished pieces.
Limited to ten participants.
- 3 hours of instruction and Q&A via Google Meet
- PDF manual with instructions and recipes
Note: This workshop includes instructions and guidance on how to do albumen and salt printing at home. The workshop is a small group setting, but we are not able to provide individualized troubleshooting for attendees attempting to follow along at home. If you're looking for one-on-one instruction, we suggest setting up a private virtual tutorial; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Members: $350
- Nonmembers: $375
- High speed internet connection. The museum is not responsible for troubleshooting technical issues of attendees; please test your connection prior to attending.
Workshop Refund Policy
- The museum offers refunds up to ten working days before the event.
- Tickets are transferable to another attendee up to five working days before the event.
- The museum is not responsible for outages, technical issues, and issues with connectivity experienced by the attendee.
- We strongly recommend testing all technology and software prior to the event.
- In the case where the museum is unable to do the event due to technical issues, all tickets will be refunded or the event will be rescheduled.
Darkroom Magic: Salt Printing
Curious about what this workshop will involve? Check out our Darkroom Magic video on the topic for a teaser of what you will learn.